HOT TRADING STRATEGIES FOR A COLD MARKET
Daily Stock Market Equity and Options Trading Commentary

Saturday, July 24, 2010

How I'm Playing the Risk Trade

Three stocks which did very well for my portfolio this past week were: Qualcomm (QCOM), American Express (AXP), and Trina Solar (TSL). I will continue to hold the majority of my long positions (as this entire market moves as a whole these days) until I see the risk trade come off the table. Copper trading above $3.10 and holding is a signal that the risk trade is coming back for the time being. I'd like to see copper futures settle above $3.22 and then $3.40. I've moved my stops to $3.08 now and this position has been working very well for me! For a less risky investor or someone who cannot trade futures check out Freeport-Mcmoran (FCX), Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF), and the most diversified way to play the Metals & Mining SPDR (XME).

I have purchased December 50 strike call options and will look to turn the position into a vertical call spread. I will decide to write upper calls against my lower calls as I'll be watching the ETF near close everyday and monitor the price action. It is also worth noting I may look to write nearer term strikes out on strength; such as the August 56 or September 58, etc... on strength in the XME. To learn how to create similar option strategies and for information on options in general check out my Options Trading Books. Sphere: Related Content

0 comments:

Hottest Blog Posts of All Time